Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fear & loathing at the LA Gift Show



I'm a merchant...
merchants, like me go to "shows" where merchants gather and buy things from other merchants.
I can remember the first time I went to one these shows...It was like 1992 or something, after my illustrious career in building parade floats didn't really pan out, I found myself working for my boyfriends Mom, who owned a shabby chic kind of shop in Long Beach. She wrangled me in, when my need for a creative outlet was kind of desperate.....AND, of course I needed a paycheck.

I remember thinking Holy Shit, this is where all the crap in the world comes from!!
Then I quickly started trying to sort out which crap we were going to buy, and sell in our store.
I remember kind of feeling euphoric. I LOVED IT!
and the euphoria never waned..show after show, year after year.....

Until now....
July 2010, Los Angeles Gift Show.....
Interior - LA Convention Center

W- "what should we buy?"
Me- "I have no idea?"
W- "what do you mean yo don't know, you always know"
Me- "I know I always know, but this time I don't"
(tears welling up in my eyes)
Voice in my head- "OMG! you've lost your merchant mojo"

Here's the deal folks, owning a store in 2010 SUCKS ASS!
2008 was a TOTAL BUMMER!
2009 was worse, and 2010 is proving to be worse yet.........

It's not that I don't know what to buy, or see things I think are fantastic...
The pressure to find the right thing, at the right price is over whelming,
THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR!

I went back the next day with my BFF, and confessed my apathy, or confusion, or fear....whatever the hell was making me feel like a total loser, visible from space.....

BFF gave me a hug, but refused to co-sign my self loathing. then pointed out how lucky we were to be surrounded by beautiful, amazing things, from all over the world. "lets get inspired" she said......and dragged me down an aisle.....
I had no choice but to leave my self loathing bad attitude outside.

I bought fualni earrings and a gorgeous leather Tuareg tent cushion, from my west African friend Oumar Cissé, of Farafina Tigne!!
"Bonjour my friend" he says in his funny French/West African accent





I bought Silver Beaded Hill Tribe necklaces from Northern China.



and some vintage Crucifix's from France.......



Not feeling quite so crazy, I took my loot back to the store, priced it all and put it out on display...cause thats what merchants do.



Leather tuareg cushion $385 . Fulani earrings $20 - $65.00 . Vintage Crucifix $95.00
Related Posts with Thumbnails